Missouri Caves - Management, Education and Conservation
Preserving and protecting Missouri's karst resources since 1992
A caver’s paradise, Missouri is home to 6800 documented caves. With growing interest in cave exploration, new caves are discovered in the state at the rate of 100 or more per year.
In an area that encompasses millions of acres of karst topography riddled with sinkholes, losing streams, springs and caves, wise stewardship of caves and karst is important for the people who live above the ground and for cave habitats that are sanctuaries for a wide array of cave biota and endangered species.
Helping Protect Missouri's Karst Resources
The Missouri Caves and Karst Conservancy (MCKC) is a land trust formed in 1992. In cooperation with all individuals and organizations, MCKC members are dedicated to:
- Conservation of caves and karst areas in Missouri through lease purchase, ownership and management, or other contractual arrangement.
- Assisting cave owners in preserving and protecting their cave and karst resources.
- Educating Missourians and engaging fellow cavers across the U.S. with regard to cave and karst conservation and management.
- Promoting the scientific study of cave and karst environments.
- Ensuring that the caving community continues to have access to caves for exploration, surveying, mapping and other activities.
MCKC - 2011 NSS Group Conservation Award Recipient
The Conservation and Management Section of the National Speleological Society presents the Group Conservation Award annually. The award is given to a group affiliated with the NSS that has made a significant contribution toward conservation or management of cave or karst resources with the intent to recognize the best and most effective conservation group in the NSS.
The Missouri Caves and Karst Conservancy is affiliated with the National Speleological Society (NSS), Missouri Speleological Survey (MSS), the American Cave Conservation Association (ACCA), the Ozark Regional Land Trust. and the Missouri Caves Association (MCA)
Find out more about the caves MCKC owns and other caves the organization manages.
Get your Cave State license plate.
Find out more
To support an MCKC conservation
project or pay dues, you can use
the PayPal button below. In the
PayPal process, use Message
box to indicate purpose of payment.